At your meeting place, a Kuku Yalanji Traditional Custodian will greet you. After that, they will introduce you to their homeland of stunning Cooya Beach. This Indigenous Cultural Experience is in magnificent Tropical North Queensland.
Here, they continue to maintain their heritage. Therefore, they practise their cultural activities of hunting and gathering daily.
Firstly, learn about the cultural importance of this country. Your Indigenous Cultural Experience guide will introduce you to spear throwing and handling for fishing. A tradition that is still practised here today.
Hunt & Gather
You will then follow your indigenous guide with a spear each along Cooya Beach. Observe cultural medicine and food plants. Your Indigenous Cultural Experience guide will take you along with them into the mangroves and onto the mudflats. Meanwhile, they continue their daily spear fishing and food gathering for their families.
After that, you will return with your Indigenous Cultural Experience guide to their residence on the beach. See Kuku Yalanji artefacts and hear rare stories from their traditional land and heritage. Meanwhile, they prepare their daily food for you and their families.
To view another Australian Indigenous Cultural tour, click HERE
Traditional fishing and gathering of food
09.30am Meet at 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach
Habitat Walk along Cooya Beach and through the mudflats
11.30am Hear stories and see indigenous artefacts while tasting your catch
12.00pm Approximately tour will finish
What to bring
Hat, Sunscreen, Sunglasses
Comfortable walking shoes
Sense of adventure
How to get there
Head north past Port Douglas. You will turn right onto Boonie Doon Road about 8.3kms past Port Douglas Road turn off. Then turn right onto Melaleuca Drive and follow around to Bougainvillea Street to Palm Street.
Your tour meeting point is 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach
A medium to a high level of fitness is required for this experience.
There are no refunds on this tour.
Private tours are available.
Easter Monday, Queens Birthday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s day incur the Private Tour rate. Please ask us for details
We accept Visa Card or Mastercard, E-Way and PayPal.
A minimum of 48 hours' notice is required to re-schedule or alter all or part of a reservation.
Cancellation fees are as follows:
No refund Policy for this tour
There will be no refund of any part of your tour costs should you fail to arrive at a scheduled tour departure time. Tour departures may not be delayed due to passenger circumstances - including events beyond your control, medical problems, airline delays, weather etc.
All passengers are strongly advised to purchase comprehensive travel insurance that includes trip cancellation insurance, evacuation and medical cover. Please read the wording of your insurance policy carefully and ensure it covers you for all potential activities
Terms And Conditions
This website acts as a booking agent only for the tours advertised herein. Although we endeavour to provide accurate information we are not liable for inaccurate information concerning services.
• No alcohol may be consumed prior to in water activities
• Children’s prices are from 4 – 11 years of age
• Please remember you need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying.
• Passengers intending to dive but restricted due to the aforementioned will not be offered a refund.
• Please call to confirm your trip 48 hours in advance on +61 7 4037 2700
• We are not liable for changes to tours, pricing or itineraries; all of which are subject to change without notice.
• Neither this site, nor any associated company or agent advertised through this site is responsible for your costs or losses resulting from alterations, cancellations, loss of personal belongings, property damage, delay or personal injury.
• All passengers are strongly advised to purchase comprehensive travel insurance that includes trip cancellation insurance, evacuation and medical cover. Please read the wording of your insurance policy carefully and ensure it covers you for all potential activities. In a medical emergency, any evacuation, vessel relocation, medical or other expenses are the financial responsibility of that passenger. Please be aware that scuba diving and other in-water activities are not covered by all travel insurance companies.
• Please inform us of any special requirements prior to your date of travel; such as dietary requirements, allergies, mobility and disability issues. This can be done in the 'Booking Message' section of your online reservation or by contacting our friendly reservations team
Indigenous Cultural Experience Tours
Indigenous Cultural Beach Walk and Talk AM
Take a morning cultural experience with the Kuku Yalanji traditional custodians, from traditional spear fishing to observing native food plants and cultural medicines.